Springbrook - Playland Park
Playland Park. -Center for History collection-
Left: Springbrook Park, circa 1915.
Springbrook was located at 1902 Lincolnway East (Lincolnway and Ironwood). Earl J. Redden purchased the park and held a contest to rename the park. The winner coined the name Playland Park. Playland was also the site of an amusement park.
-Center for History collection-
Over the years Playland was used for various types of entertainment. On June 20, 1951, a stock car race was held at Playland Park Speedway. The NASCAR race, was 100 miles. Nineteen cars started the race and Tim Flock, of Atlanta Georgia, driving a 1951 Hudson won the race. It was never held again. This park was home of South Bend baseball from 1896 until the 1950s. Numerous semi-pro and some professional teams called this park home. The first baseball game was played June 14, 1896 and on August 28, 1904 a game was played at Springbrook under portable lights.
Horse racing at Playland Park.