Left and Right: Downtown Hammond, 1949. Downtown Monon depot clearly visible in both pictures. Photo Hammond Public Library, courtsey of Kevin Ruble.
Downtown Hammond, sometime in the 1930's. Exact date unknown. Looking south.
A Hammond landmark, the Kwi-Kee Snak. Once a Steak and Shake, this local eatery was on Douglas Street. -Kevin Heggi Collection-
Postcard of downtown Hammond depot. Built in 1906, it was a handsome building indeed, made of stone, with many architectural details, note the ornate roof line and the ornamental lighting.
Left and Right: Unique limestone depot downtown Hammond. This triangular depot was demolished in 1954. -Tim Swan, Mahlon Eberhard Collections-
Left: Downtown Hammond depot, circa 1947. These photos were taken during the 1947 Centennial celebration of the Monon. Right: Pictured is the William Mason a 4-4-0 used by the Monon during the celebration.
Former Troop Kitchen car 201 and William Mason, downtown Hammond.
This dark day for railroad enthusiasts took place in 1954, as workmen in the photo above, complete their task of leveling the station. All that remains, is to cart off the debris, of this once splendid looking passenger depot, that proudly stood on the 400 block of Sibley Street just east of Hohman Avenue. The site now serves as a parking lot.
Sibley Street crossing, circa 1960. Downtown depot has already been torn down. Judging by the vehicles, good guess would be 1966 or 67.
Left: August 3, 1979. An L&N freight heading north through downtown Hammond. Right: L&N/ Family Lines local operating south on the C&WI, April 25, 1981, near 136th St. Shortly after that photo was taken, the GT connection was installed in Munster and Family Lines trains on the Monon bypassed Hammond and the C&WI mainline.. Dennis Schmidt Photos, courtsey George Elwood.
Hammond Then And Now
The pictures on the left of this page were obtained from the Hammond Public Library. They are grade crossings at various locations along the Monon in Hammond. These were taken sometime during the 1920's, however, exact dates were not available. We will start south at 173rd Street and work our way north. The images on the right are the same location, circa 2004. These images are courtesy of Kevin Heggi.
Special thanks go out to the Hammond Public Library, Kevin Ruble and Kevin Heggi for taking an afternoon and scanning all these images, or wandering out and taking current images.
173rd Street crossing 1920.
165th Street crossing 1920.
Lewis Street crossing 1920.
Kenwood Street crossing, 1920.
Detroit Street crossing, 1920.
Highland Street crossing, 1920.
Waltham Street crossing, 1920.
Fayette Street crossing, 1920.
Russell Street crossing, 1920.
Location of the former downtown depot, May 2002. Looking south from State Street area. Depot sat next to the building in the center of the photo. The parking lot, inside the fence was where the depot once stood. To the left is the downtown bus transfer depot.
Former downtown depot location. Left: Looking north from Sibley Street. Parking lot now sits where the former depot stood. Right: Jefferson Hotel and Denny's Deli occupy the building sitting west of the depot. Across the street there is a hardware store, which has been in the same family for 102 years. The owner, who was slightly miffed that I only asked questions and did not buy anything confirmed that yes, the parking lot was once the location of the downtown depot.
Looking north of former downtown depot site. Hohman Steet overpass in background.
Close up of the base of an old crossing watch tower. I believe it was just north of Douglas Street.
Douglas Street crossing. Looking north toward downtown Hammond. Base of crossing tower can been seen on right side of photo.
In and around Hammond.
Crossing the Calumet River north of downtown. Date of picture, unknown. This bridge replaced one originally designed as a lift bridge. Yes, at one time barge and boat traffic was contemplated on the Calumet River...Believe it or Not!
Mainline north of 165th Street, circa 1919. Oak Hill Cemetery is to the left of photo.
Abandoned mainline 2002. Looking south. Oak Hill Cemetery is on the right.
May 28, 1977. Northbound L&N freight has just passed under the Borman and is moving through the South Hammond Yard.
| Bygone Monon Main | 1952 Lowell Train Wreck |