MP 110.2 1st Subdivision -
Ash Grove derives its name from the numerous ash trees in the surrounding area. The station was established in 1915 and was an old box car. The elevator no longer has rail service and the siding was removed years ago.
Left and Right, Above and Below: Some pictures of the aftermath of the Ash Grove wreck.
The site of the worst wreck in the history of the Monon Railroad. The accident happened at 3:22 am on June 3, 1947 in the cut west of Harrison Road. The accident left the engineer and fireman of northbound train No. 70 dead. It also killed the front brakeman on train No. 75. The diesels lay twisted on top of one another amid 15 derailed freight cars.
Left and Right: Two more looks at the Ash Grove wreck.
Left: Tractors remain secured to their flat car. Right People look on the destruction caused by the wreck.-Mahlon Eberhard Collection-
Left and Right (Above and Below) More photos from the wreck.
The photos below were provided by Gene Remaly. The photos were taken by his father Claude. Many thanks to Gene for allowing them to be featured here.
Ash Grove, summer of 1971. Northbound freight passing the elevator.
Left and Right: Northbound freight passing the elevator at Ash Grove. -Dick Fonatine photographs-
Same train as pictured above, with a small helper on the end. -Dick Fontaine photograph-
Northbound freight between Ash Grove and Battle Ground, 1969. -Dave Ritenour Photograph-
Ash Grove, September 29, 1976. Co Op Grain elevator looking to the north.
Ash Grove, April 9, 1981. Co Op Grain elevator looking to the north.
Ash Grove Today
Ash Grove, 2004. Left: Approaching from the south. Looking towards the north. Right: Another view of the former elevator. Looking south along the mainline.
NEW 06-14-2012 And the Ash Grove Elevator comes tumbling down. Jim Wolfe BMIA sends me these recent photos of the demolition of the elevator. Another landmark coming down. Sad.
Looking north along the mainline towards Monon, Indiana.
Ash Grove, 2005. Left: Looking to the railroad south towards Battle Ground. Right: Looking to the railroad north. This location was south of the elevator. I do not believe this is the location of the wreck.
M.P. 112.9 - 1st Subdivision - Bd
Battle Ground was consolidated in 1867 with the Town of Harrisonville. The governments of both towns decided to name the consolidation Battle Ground. The Town of Battle Ground was named for the Battle of Tippecanoe and the Town of Harrisonville was named after William Henry Harrison, commander of the American forces of the Battle of Tippecanoe. The Tippecanoe Battlefield is a National historic land mark, which has a museum and recreation area. . In 1915 the depot was a frame type and served the railroad until it was closed on September 1, 1960.
Highway sign. Former Monon right of way pictured to the right.
Photo Left: Monument at the Tippecanoe Battlefield, circa 1930s. In the late summer and fall of 1811, William Henry Harrison, then Governor of the Indiana Territory, organized a military expedition against the increasing menace of the federation of Indian tribes being formed by the Shawnee brothers, Tecumseh and Elskatawwa-The Prophet. With the Prophet’s Town as his objective, General Harrison marched from Vincennes at the head of a small army of about one thousand men. General Harrison met with representatives of the Prophet on November 6th 1811, when he arrived at Prophet’s Town, and told them of the demands he brought in the name of his government. General Harrison was to meet with the Prophet and his council the next day about the demands of the government. General Harrison then set up his encampment on a ridge about a mile northwest of Prophet’s Town. Fearing the cunning and treachery of the Prophet, General Harrison placed his troops in battle formation , instructed his men to sleep fully clothed, and assigned a large detail of men for sentinel duty. On the morning of November 7th 1811, after 4 o’clock AM, the camp was attacked by the Prophet. After a fierce battle, General Harrison and his army defeated the Prophet’s Indian confederation, and all but ended the Indian wars in the Midwest.
Methodist Collegiate Institute. This building was built in 1857 between Battle Ground and Harrisonville.
Left and Right: Scenes from the Methodist Church Camp at Battle Ground. This summer camp was a retreat for many a kid, who arrived via the Monon Railroad.
Tabernacle at the Church camp. Right: Prophets' Rock, near the Battlefield.
Panoramic view of modern day downtown Battle Ground.
Left: Battle Ground Depot. Date is unknown. Judging by the overall condition, this photo may have been taken just prior to the depot being retired and permanently closed. -MRHTS Photo Archive Collection- Right: Battle Ground depot in better days.
Looking south at Battle ground.
Monon action at Battle Ground, Indiana, October 1969 with the battlefield at Battle Ground in the background. #36 is leading the consist northbound.
Southbound freight roars through downtown. 1969 -Dave Ritenour Photograph-
October 1969 action at Battleground. Left: #502 leading a northbound through Battle Ground. Right: With a little help from a friend. #17 helping out. Pushing on the end of a freight at Battle Ground.
Action south of Battle Ground. Left: March 1970. BL2 #32 leads southbound freight towards Lafayette. Right: #511 also southbound, south of Battle Ground.
Northbound freight coming into town, 1969. -Dave Ritenour Photograph-
1950's era action at Battleground. Left: Southbound passenger #5 at Battleground.
Great shot of Rider Car C-214 on local freight at Battleground, circa 1950's.
Right: Southbound near I-65 overpass, with two Southern locomotives in the consist. Right: Northbound freight with Bl2 and FM locomotives. Are they headed to the scrap yard?
Left and Right: Shops wrecker working a derailment near Battle Ground.
Left and Right: Track crew work to repair the track damaged in a derailment near Battle Ground.
Battleground in the 1970's The Floridian passing the Battle Ground elevator on its way to Chicago. If you look close on one of the telegraph poles there are three white rings. These indicate 3/4 of a mile. Courtesy of Mark Baker.
Battle Ground Today
NEW 04-26-2011 Left: Former Monon crossing at Battle Ground. Right: Northbound Amtrak passing through.
Left: May 2004. Looking to the north along the mainline in downtown Battle Ground. Right: Looking south, towards Lafayette. The Battle Ground Monument and grounds are just out of the picture, around the curve in the distance.
Another view of the mainline towards the north.
| Bygone Monon Main | 1952 Lowell Train Wreck |